While droopy eyelids are often associated with aging, other factors can contribute to premature drooping eyelids. If you have eyelids that are sagging, you may wonder, can your eyes droop while you are young? The answer is yes. There are a variety of factors that may cause your eyes to droop at an early age. Below you will find some causes of droopy eyelids and what you can do about them.
Can Your Eyes Droop While You Are Young?
For those who have premature droopy eyelids, you are not alone. Many people suffer from droopy eyelids early on, and there are a number of possible causes.
- Medical Conditions: Some medical conditions can cause droopy eyelids. This is especially true if it affects both of your eyes. Strokes, brain tumors, or neurological disorders can all impact your eyelids.
- Prior Medical Procedure: If just one of your eyelids is drooping, it could be due to a prior medical procedure. Lasik or cataract surgery can sometimes cause issues such as a drooping eyelid. This is because the tendon can be stretched during the procedure which will ultimately result in drooping.
- Injury or Trauma: If you have had an injury or a trauma on or near your eye, it can cause issues with your eyelid. If the muscle or tendons around your eye are stretched, it can cause damage that cannot be reversed without medical intervention.
- Lifestyle Factors: Certain lifestyle factors can cause premature aging. Things like excessive drinking, smoking, poor diet, a lack of exercise, and an inconsistent sleep routine can all cause your body to age quickly. This can be especially obvious in areas such as your face and eyes.
- Sun Exposure: One of the most harmful impacts on your skin is sun exposure. This can cause your skin to age much quicker, including fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging. The damage from sun exposure can impact the skin around your eyes as it is thin and much more sensitive as compared to other areas on your body.
Droopy Eyelid Surgery
Droopy eyelid surgery is the most effective treatment option for droopy eyelids. Before you make any decisions, set up a consultation with an experienced oculoplastic surgeon. They can help determine if the procedure is right for you and answer any questions. It is important to share your expectations with the surgeon at this time. They can provide you with the necessary information and help manage your expectations.
The procedure itself is fairly quick and lasts no more than an hour. It is usually performed under local anesthesia with oral or IV sedation. This will be discussed at your consultation so you will be fully prepared on the day of the procedure. The surgeon will make a small incision in your eyelids to ensure minimal scarring. After the procedure, it’s important to focus on your recovery. You should plan to spend two weeks recovering from the procedure. However, talk with your surgeon and follow their instructions as they know your unique medical situation. Patients have reported an increase in self-confidence due to the impact of the procedure, as it can take years off of your face.
Oculoplastic Surgeon in Beverly Hills
If you are unhappy with your eyelids and are considering treatment options, contact Taban MD. Dr. Mehryar Taban is a well-known and successful oculoplastic surgeon in southern California. He is one of the most trusted oculoplastic surgeons in the area as he is highly educated and active in the medical community. Dr. Taban takes great pride in providing his patients with the highest quality care. Contact the best oculoplastic surgeon in Beverly Hills today to schedule your consultation!