It is recommended that adults get at least seven to nine hours of sleep each night. If you struggle with falling asleep or even staying asleep it can wreak havoc on your body. Poor sleep hygiene has been linked to mental health issues, overeating, obesity, and even issues with your memory. Your appearance can also take a hit as looking tired can make us look unattractive. Below you will find some information on the impact of low sleep on our faces and what you can do to fix it.
Why Looking Tired Makes Us Unattractive
- Puffy Eyes and Dark Circles: There is a clear association between puffy eyes, dark circles, and a poor night’s sleep. A lack of sleep causes your eyes to be dry and irritated. This leads to inflammation and swelling, which presents as puffiness. This can make your eyes look older and lead to fine lines and wrinkles. Besides getting a good night’s sleep, there are options to help you recover from this issue in the short-term. Serums with caffeine can help with puffiness and you can also use a cold pack ice mask for 5 minutes before you head out in the morning. In the long-term, try focusing on why you aren’t getting good sleep and address the issue.
- Stress and Skin Texture: Lack of sleep often increases stress. Stress causes your cortisol levels to spike which is known to impact healing and cell turnover. Your skin can heal and restore its natural glow when you get a good night’s rest. Without that, your skin will appear dull with poor texture. If you cannot get a good night’s sleep, focus on staying hydrated, eating healthy, and having a good and simple skincare routine.
- Cortisol Levels and Diet: A spike in your cortisol levels can also lead to you carrying and storing more fat. This is especially true if you are eating poorly when you are tired. Excess fat on your body and face can make you look aged. Focus on eating a nutritious diet, no matter how much sleep you get. This will help compensate for the lack of sleep in the short-term.
Treatments and Tips for Looking Fresh
While there are several cosmetic treatments you can get to enhance your appearance and make you look more attractive, it’s important to address any sleep issues you have. Focusing on sleep and reducing stress can do wonders for your skin. However, cosmetic treatments can enhance your natural beauty and make you look younger. Below are some of the most common cosmetic treatments and procedures to help you look your best.
- Saggy Eyelid Surgery: Sagging eyelids can arise from a combination of factors, including lack of sleep, age, and genetics. Saggy eyelid surgery can dramatically enhance the look of your eyes and give you a youthful glow.
- Botox: This can help slow down the aging process and minimize the look of fine lines and wrinkles on your face. A lack of sleep can make you raise your eyebrows and squint more, which can lead to wrinkles. Botox can improve the look of your skin and minimize the risk of wrinkles deepening.
- Chemical Peel: Collagen and elastin begin to reduce in your mid-20s. A chemical peel can restore your dry, textured, and aged skin. It promotes cell turnover, so bright new cells shine through.
If you feel like you look tired and want to discuss your options with a board-certified surgeon, contact Taban MD. Dr. Mehryar Taban is a well-known and successful surgeon in Beverly Hills. Dr. Taban is a trusted surgeon who takes great pride in providing his patients with the highest quality care. Contacts his office today for a consultation!